These falafel burgers make a great, healthy replacement to the seitan dominated mock burger market. To make falafel properly, you really need to deep fry them in order to get the crispiness they need, but these burgers are a healthy version, so I am lightly frying them and because of that, they get nice and crispy on the outside, but soft (without being too soft) on the inside. Therefore, to really take your face to flavour town, I am going to serve these with hummus and tzatziki. The combination not only looks amazing, but tastes amazing too. The three combine to make an incredible texture that mix perfectly with crunchy salad and toasted buns.
Serve with either a salad or some homemade chunky fries.
Everyone loves falafel, why not change it up a bit and make a burger out of it? Full of fibre, protein, proper carbohydrate and most of all…. Flavour.
Go on son!
Nutritional Information (for burgers only):
- Calories = 216
- Protein = 7.9g
- Fat = 11.3g
- Saturated Fat = 1.4g
- Carbohydrate = 17.2g
- Cholesterol = 0g
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¾ cup chickpea flour
- Small batch parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus extra for frying)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 burger buns
- Pat dry the chickpeas with some paper towel and add to a food processor, along with the roughly chopped onions and garlic, chickpea flour and spices
- Pulse a few times to get things moving
- Add the oil and lemon juice and pulse again a few times. Do not mix too much, you don’t want a paste, some chunky veg make this much better
- Transfer to a (chickpea) floured surface and divide into 4 equal sized pieces. Flour your hands a little and carefully shape the mixture into burger shaped patties. If the mixture is too wet, add a little more flour until it dries, but don’t go too mad
- Lay the patties on a plate and place in your fridge for around 20 minutes, to firm up
- Heat some oil onto a large frying pan and fry the falafel burgers for 3 – 4 minutes on each side
- Serve on toasted buns with hummus, spinach, tomato slices and tzatziki
- Get it into ya