Vegan protein pancakes are something that I stayed away from for a long time because they just sound wrong. In fact, you would think they were three words that should never be used together, but trust me they can, and these do, taste excellent.
The pancakes are a breakfast I have regularly when I need an extra boost of protein. I am not gluten intolerant so I use all-purpose flour, however any flour will work here. You can even blend some oats to make your own flour, should you wish.
Each pancake has around 93 calories (without butter or oil) and around 4.5 grams protein. I usually have 5! You also get a good serving of fruit and can add any additional fruit toppings you wish.
I hope you enjoy analternative to your tofu scramble/green smoothie.
Get it into ya!
Makes around 10 pancakes
Nutritional Information (for 5 pancakes, minus oil/butter and maple/golden syrup):
- Calories = 472
- Protein = 21.7g
- Fat = 4.7g
- Saturated Fat = 0.3g
- Carbohydrate = 81.5g
- Cholesterol = 0g
- 1 cup all-purpose flour/gluten free flour/oats blended into flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 scoop vegan unflavoured protein powder
- Pinch salt
- 1.5 cups non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen is fine)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Olive oil/vegan butter
- Maple/Golden syrup (I used Myprotein sugarless golden syrup) to serve
- Mix your flour of choice, baking powder, protein powder and salt in a large mixing bowl
- In a separate bowl, mash a peeled banana using the back of a fork until liquidized. Add to the bowl
- Pour in the milk whilst continuously stirring. Stir until a loose batter has formed
- Add the blueberries and lemon juice
- Heat a large pan on a medium heat for a few minutes
- Add enough vegan butter or oil (or a combination of both) to completely coat the bottom of the pan with a thin layer
- Using a ¼ cup measurer (or an ice-cream scoop), pour, in 4 batches at a time, into the pan at opposite sides and let the pancakes naturally take shape
- Fry for 3 – 4 minutes until golden brown, flip and repeat on the other side
- Repeat process for however many you wish to make
- Create a pancake stack and generously pour over maple/golden syrup
- Get it into ya!!