I thought it was about time I included my vegan frittata recipe on here. Replacing all the eggs is the amazing combination of tofu, nutritional yeast and almond milk. If you add in some healthy veg, then you have a really tasty and super healthy meal. Coming in at 25g protein and containing only 290 calories per serve, you wouldn’t even know that this comfort food was actually really good for you!
This is a great recipe to use up old veg. As usual on Maximum Vegan, this is a base recipe. You can include any combination you want or any veg have lying around. Nothing is off limits. I am doing roast cherry tomatoes, peppers, potato and spinach though. How good does that sound??
This is a great, tasty, healthy, suitable for any time of the day meal that is as good at breakfast as it is with a salad at lunch or dinner.
- Calories = 290
- Protein = 25g
- Fat = 10.7g
- Saturated Fat = 1.1g
- Carbohydrate = 21.9g
- Cholesterol = 0g
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved and roasted
- 1 red skinned potato, diced into 1cm pieces (with skin on)
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 red pepper (capsicum) diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small package (around 60g) spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 500g firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 cup non dairy milk (I used almond)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Before doing anything, make sure you have some roasted cherry tomatoes. To do this, simply halve the tomatoes and lay them on a foil lined baking tray. Sprinkle over some salt and pepper and then bake at 120 degrees Celsius for 90 minutes. You can do this the day before if you like
- Bake diced potato pieces on a baking paper lined tray (making sure no pieces are touching) in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees celsius for about 30-40 minutes, shaking and turning after about 20 minutes. Again, you can do this the day before
- Now put a large sauté pan over a medium heat and add the onions. Include a tablespoon or two of water (don’t put too much in) and “fry” the onions for about 5 minutes
- Add the peppers and fry for 5 minutes
- Add the garlic and rosemary and fry for 2 minutes
- Finally, add the spinach and heat until wilted. This will take a few minutes and will need some stirring to help along the way
- Meanwhile, add all the remaining ingredients to a food processor and process until a thick liquid consistency. You don’t want it too thick, a runny paste is perfect so if it is a bit dry, add some more almond milk or water
- Pour the tofu mixture into the pan with the vegetables, add the roast cherry tomatoes and stir thoroughly (but gently) to combine
- Pour the mixture into a cake tin or keep in the pan if it’s oven proof. I always use a cheesecake tin as you can loosen the sides and get a perfectly round frittata, but anything around that size will be OK as long as it is ovenproof. Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes at 180 degrees celsius and leave for 5 minutes before handling or cutting.
- Serve with a side salad or homemade beans
- Get it into ya!!!!