This recipe is something I eat regularly for dinners on a week night.
I DEFINITELY do not follow a low carb diet and think those that do are generally inclined to be a little more insane than normal folk (but nothing compared to those crazy #HCLF people). That being said, after eating a high amount of carbohydrate in the day, usually in the form of oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice or quinoa, I do try and taper them off in the evening. I find my energy levels are still ridiculously high and my weight is far more manageable if I only eat 2 carb heavy meals out of 3.
One thing I used to eat back in the old meat eater days was stuffed peppers, particularly a way of using up Bolognese sauce (add some horseradish if that’s your thing, tastes great!).
I created this dish for 3 reasons – 1) it is really simple 2) it is loaded with muscle replenishing protein (don’t believe those that say you don’t need any!) and 3) it is low carb. I eat this once or twice a week. If you want the same meal but don’t give a flying gonad about carbohydrates, then feel free to add in some cooked rice or quinoa or even some kidney beans into the mixture. You would be able to make more or have a couple of tofu/rice meals for lunch the next day. One thing I opt out on is adding a marinara sauce. I include tomatoes in the tofu and I don’t feel it needs it, especially as this is more Mexican based, but feel free to add some if you wish.
Now get in there son and stuff some peppers!
Nutritional Information (including vegan sour cream):
- Calories = 515
- Protein = 28.3g
- Fat = 36.5g
- Saturated Fat = 5.9g
- Carbohydrate = 19.9g
- Cholesterol = 0g
- 4 peppers (capsicums – red or yellow or a mixture of both), halved lengthways and innards and seeds cut/scooped out 500g firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 100g (roughly a large handful) spinach
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Small handful vegan cheese (I used follow your heart mozzarella)
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, plus extra to serve
- Salt and pepper
- Avocado and Vegan sour cream, to serve, recipe here
- Optional: ½ cup tomato pasta sauce, tin of drained kidney beans, 1 cup cooked quinoa, 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Preheat your oven to 210 degrees Celsius
- Heat a large saute/frying pan or wok over a medium heat
- Add the oil, swirl around and add the onion, fry for 5 minutes or until translucent
- Crumble the drained tofu into the pan into your chosen size. I prefer a bit smaller than bite size pieces
- Stir everything and fry for a further 10 minutes, stirring regularly
- Add all the spices and stir to coat the tofu/onions
- Add the tomatoes and stir, fry for 2 minutes
- Add the spinach and wait until it has completely wilted, stirring all the time
Now add the vegan cheese and fry until it has melted, this adds a good flavour but it’s binding quality is what we really want
- Add the hot sauce and stir
- Season with salt and pepper
- At this point, mix in any optional ingredients you want. I like to keep it basic and not add anything. The simple taste is more than enough but if you want it more carby, add some rice, quinoa or beans
- Place the halved and deseeded peppers into a large baking tray and spoon in your tofu mixture
- Bake for 45 minutes or 40 minutes, add some more vegan cheese on top and back in for another 5 minutes
- Serve with some chopped avocado slices, some more hot sauce and a good serving of my cashew sour cream
- Get it into ya!!