Summer is running out of time here in Oz, well actually it has run out of time, it’s Autumn! But that hasn’t stopped the weather from remaining in the low 30’s and being DAMN hot.
I’m always looking at different salads and being plant based, it is tough to always meet the protein requirements of someone as active as me (and you). Enter the Mexican Bean Salad, super high in protein and detoxifying nutrients, it is eaten cold so perfect on a hot day, gluten free (if that is your thing), is an excellent side dish at a BBQ or a full satisfying main and it tastes damn good too, if I do say so myself.
My only advice to you is…. Try and find someone else to eat this with, eating a BIG bean salad every day for 4 days, may taste great but it plays havoc with your insides! Ha
Take note of the last step in the instructions. One of the serving options is to fry up some corn tortillas and serve directly into the salad, this makes a great dish even better. Trust me.
Serves 4 as mains, 8 as side
Nutritional Information (if serving 4):
- Calories = 643
- Protein = 20.2g
- Fat = 34.2g
- Saturated fat = 6.7g
- Carbohydrate = 53.7g
- Cholesterol = 0g
- 400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 300g can corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 red pepper (capsicum), diced
- 1 green pepper (capsicum), diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- small bunch coriander, chopped (reserve a little for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 avocado’s, cut into 1cm cubes, to serve
- chopped spring onions, to serve
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed, to serve
- vegan sour cream (optional), to serve (recipe to follow soon for mine)
- Start by making your dressing. In a small jar/container/bowl add the oil, lime juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir or shake vigorously, cover and refrigerate
- Add all remaining ingredients (except the ones ‘to serve’) to a huge bowl and give everything a thorough stir
- Pour over the dressing, stir and serve with chopped spring onions, diced avocados and warmed corn tortillas, plus some cashew sour cream if you have some on hand
- A good option that I nearly always do is roll the corn tortillas up like a cigar and then chop into strips. I then fry these in some hot oil, on both sides, until slightly firm. I then add these right in with the salad. It makes an amazing texture. In fact, it’s not optional, do it this way instead!!
- Get it into ya!!