One of the hard things I found about going vegan was actually finding smaller meals to make. You don’t always want huge Buddha bowls that contain 35 different types of veg. I wanted to find something to take place of the old chicken salads I used to make, something light for the Summer and for when I am trying to keep my weight low. Tofu is great but really needs help, so enter the mango salsa. This is an amazing salad.
As with all food, this recipe is only as good as the produce you use so do try and visit your local farmers market or a local food market. The big supermarket chains just don’t do it for me. Choose a mango that is still a little firm but showing signs of softening. A good ripe mango is one of lifes great pleasures and the good old Australian summer, that I have come to love, supplies some of the best in the World.
With the actual tofu steak, I just use a tiny bit of smoked paprika and oregano but you can use whatever you have on hand and enjoy.
This dish works really well as part of a large salad, the salsa can actually replace any dressing needed but I made some crispy, smoky new potatoes with this and it worked really well.
Enjoy. Stay healthy.
- Calories = 339
- Protein = 21.8g
- Fat = 20.3g
- Saturated Fat = 2.9g
- Carbohydrate = 19.4g
- Cholesterol = 0g
- 500g firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ripe mangoes, diced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and and chopped
- small bunch of coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper
- Optional: 1 red pepper, diced or 1/2 cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and chopped
- Serve with a salad and crispy new potatoes
- Cut the drained tofu into 4 squares and then each square into 2 triangles
- Put a griddle pan (or standard frying pan) on a medium high heat and preheat for a few minutes
- Add the oil and then fry the tofu for around 5 minutes on each side. I usually add some smoked paprika and oregano to each side to give a little extra flavour
- Meanwhile, add all the remaining ingredients to a bowl and stir well, but gently, you don’t want the mango falling apart. Refrigerate until ready
- Serve the tofu with spoonfuls of the mango salsa on top. This works really well as part of a salad
- Get it into ya!!!!