This is one of the greatest sauces ever made.
Now I have set expectations stupidly high, let’s get into it….
If you haven’t tried it yet, cashews are a great alternative ingredient that when softened, provide a perfect texture for creams and sauces. It will need help though, so I highly encourage you to try a variety of different ingredients and see what you can come up with yourself.
I use this sauce predominantly when I make “bowls”. One issue vegans have is that our food is very low in fat and a functioning adult NEEDS fat, especially if they are training in MMA or a sport just as demanding. This recipe makes about 5 big serves, enough to cover your whole plate and although reasonably calorific, you are looking at about 180 calories per serve, the calories come mainly from healthy fat. Plus you get an extra 5 grams of protein in each serve.
Checkout my YouTube channel for a video of this sauce and an idea of what you can add it to. I always have this in my fridge and use it on absolutely everything! I would go as far as to say this simple little sauce is my greatest creation.
Serves about 5
- Calories = 176
- Protein = 5.1g
- Fat = 14.8g
- Saturated Fat = 2.5g
- Carbohydrate = 59.1g
- Cholesterol = 0g
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 4 – 8 hours or boiled for 10 minutes if no high speed blender)
- ¾ cup water (roughly)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus….
- 1 tablespoon of the sauce
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt
- First prepare your cashews. Soak for about 8 hours (4 minimum) if you do not have a high-powered blender. Alternatively, you can just boil them for 10 minutes. It does exactly the same thing
- Add all remaining ingredients to a blender, minus the water
- Add half a cup (125ml) water to the blender and mix until well and truly mixed
- Keep adding water and mixing in very small measurements until the desired consistency is reached. This is usually about ¾ cup for me but judge for yourself. You do not want to overdo it
- Serve on anything! Burritos, rice dishes, sandwiches, cous cous, tacos etc
- Get it into ya!!