Before I do “long” runs, I eat a big bowl of oatmeal beforehand and I have noticed that when I do, I can push out a few extra k’s and I stay fuller for much longer as the combination of fruit and oats is perfect energy fuel.
This is episode 2 in the oatmeal series. Grated apple, raisins and cinnamon give it an almost baked, comfort food feel.
Love it. Get it into ya.
- Calories = 429
- Protein = 9g
- Fat = 8g
- Saturated Fat = 2.2g
- Carbohydrate = 77.7g
- Cholesterol = 0g
- ½ cup of quick/porridge oats
- ¾ cup almond milk or soy milk if not soy free
- ½ cup water
- 1 apple, grated
- handful raisins
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- dash of cinnamon (I hate the term dash!)
- Start by grating the apple
- Add the oats, soy milk and water to a saucepan and put on a low to medium heat
- Using a soft spatula (or just wooden spoon if you don’t have one) keep stirring for about 2-3 minutes (or until the consistency is a bit too loose)
- Add the grated apple, sugar and raisins and continue cook until the desired consistency is reached
- Serve sprinkled with a dash (eeugh) of cinnamon
- Easy. Now go for a run, lard-arse (I’m talking to me)
- Get it into ya!!