This is a pure recovery salad.
The portion sizes are huge but it is full of all the right type of foods, so even though it is reasonably calorific, it is loaded with nutrients, protein and fibre and therefore, you can eat this not just guilt free, but you will feel amazing after.
The combination of raw and cooked vegetables takes care of all the micro-nutrients, where as the quinoa and beans takes care of the macros, if that is something you worry about. It has a full amino acids count so is a “Complete protein” again, if that is something you worry about!
I think it works especially well if you make in advance and have cold, but eating whilst it is still warm is also nice. It really does taste amazing. especially when you consider just how many quality, healthy ingredients go into it.
I love the crunch of the spring onions, the freshness of the cucumber and olives and comfort of the beans and quinoa, aided of course with smoked paprika. It wouldn’t be cajun without it!
- Calories = 534
- Protein = 25
- Fat = 7g
- Saturated fat = 0.8g
- Carbohydrate = 91g
- Cholesterol = 0g
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 red pepper (capsicum), diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 200g green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1 – 2 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 24 olives, chopped
- 1 pack of spring onions, trimmed and chopped (there were 12 in mine)
- small handful of basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the stock in a saucepan. As it boils, add the quinoa, cover and turn the heat to low. Let it simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. You may need to remove the lid with the last few minutes
- 14 minutes before the quinoa is ready, put a large sauté pan or casserole dish on a stove over a high heat.
- Add the onion, pepper, celery, carrot, green beans, garlic and a tablespoon or two of water. “Fry” for about 8 minutes
- Add the beans, paprika, oregano and thyme, season with salt and pepper and stir. Fry for 2 or 3 more minutes
- When everything is cooked, add the bean/veg mixture and quinoa to a large mixing bowl. Add the cucumber, spring onions, olives and basil
- Give everything a final stir and enjoy
- Get it into ya!!